Thursday, June 19, 2008

Do you listen to your iPod when you run?

I recently asked members of Maintain Fit it they listened to music, like on an iPod, when they run. The survey results were great, and it turns out that 85.7% of the people that answered the survey do listen to music when they run. I thought that was a pretty high number...

The other side of the conversation was whether or not it's safe to run with headphones in your ears. A lot of people pointed out that running with headphones in makes it more difficult to hear cars and hazards and increases your risk of injury. But, despite the increased risk, a lot of people find it worthwhile to run with music.

Here are some of the reasons that people love running with music
  • Music is motivational
  • Music helps establish and maintain a good pace (cadence)
  • Music is entertaining
  • iPods are becoming more affordable and are easy to take along (especially the really tiny ones)
  • Running can be boring (haven't we all felt that at least once)
Well, those are some of the highlights from the survey. I didn't post the entire thing on my site, but my blog contains a good summary of the information that I got out of the survey.

I also included a link to the original survey, so that you can go and add your two cents (or just post a comment on my blog). Here's the link:

Do you listen to music when you run

That's it for now... Get out and RUN today!

No comments: